“Why should I read the bible?”
I bet at least once in your life you’ve asked one of these questions, “Why should I read the Bible?”, “What does the Bible really say?”, “How do I read the Bible?,” “Why is reading the bible so important to being a follower of Jesus?” Well, I want to give you some information below that really helped me get into the Bible. Once I started reading, studying, and meditating on God’s word every day I saw major changes in myself, my life and my relationship with God.
The Bible… this giant book that gives us Christians rules? No, that is wrong. The Bible is not a rule book, it is not a book telling us what not to do. The Bible is a life guidebook, it is a love letter to humans from God. It includes helpful tips, inspirational stories, vital information and motivational quotes. Sounds interesting right? Well, it is! Now get this, the Bible is the only book where the author is in love with the reader.
What makes the bible different?
The Bible is very different from other books in many ways. The first way is that the Bible is not to be treated as a book. What does this mean? Unlike other books, The Bible’s first intent is not to just be finished, its goal is not for a reader to read it front to back. Trying to read the Bible front to back is one of the main reasons why people give up on reading it. “Every scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for showing mistakes, for correcting, and for training character, so that the person who belongs to God can be equipped to do everything that is good.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Every scripture is useful and important, which is why it is okay to open up to the middle of the Bible and just start reading.
The second reason why the Bible is so different than other books is that it is alive. Now you’re saying, “whoa, whoa, whoa… that doesn’t sound right…” It is alive though, what I mean is that it is all God’s words and thoughts. They are relevant now and forever. “because God’s word is living, active, and sharper than any two-edged sword. It penetrates to the point that it separates the soul from the spirit and the joints from the marrow. It’s able to judge the heart’s thoughts and intentions.” (Hebrews 4:12). When we are reading the Bible it is as if we are hearing God speak those words to us at that very moment. The words are powerful, meaningful and life-changing.
Below I have listed 5 reasons why reading the Bible is important:The Bible is a guide to life, through it we can understand God’s will for us.
- “Your word is a lamp before my feet and a light for my journey.” (Psalms 119:105)
- Through the Bible, we are able to find out who God really is and who Jesus really is.
- “As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.” (Psalms 18:30)
- By reading the Bible we are able to know the truth of Christianity, so we aren’t fooled or manipulated by false teachers or religious acts that are not in the Bible.
- “But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.” (2 Timothy 3:13)
- Through God’s word, we can find strength, courage and hope to get through each and every day.
- “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.” (Psalms 28: 7-8)
- In the Bible, we experience an unlimited amount of reasons why we are loved.
- “Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. And God showed his love for us by sending his only Son into the world, so that we might have life through him. This is what love is: it is not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the means by which our sins are forgiven.” (1 John 4:8-10)
Reading the Bible doesn’t mean you have to start big. Take 10 minutes in the morning, on your lunch break or before you go to bed to read a couple verses or read just one verse and think about how you can apply it to your life. Download the Bible app and read the verse of the day. Reading God’s word is the only way to hear Him, get to know Him and get to know ourselves through Him. So, open up God’s living, breathing word and see what kind of power it holds for your life.